Saturday 28 September 2024

Speed Is Still Not Everything

I wrote a week ago about the danger of thinking that (productivity) improvement is always about increasing speed.


I thought this week about an example that sums this up quite nicely.


I went recently to a performance by a small group of classical musicians  - playing a variety of materials from several composers.   (This is not really my primary choice of music but it does make a refreshing change to hear top class musicians playing sophisticated, complex music.)


However, my mind can wander when the music does not contain ‘tunes’ that I know.  On one such occasion, I thought about how little the concert I was watching would have changed from a similar concept 100 or even 200 years ago.


Was it better or worse?  Possibly the most important change is that classical music is now much more accessible to all members of society, rather than being the preserve of the very rich.  Recordings exist. Concert performances are relatively common and cheap. Instruments are much cheaper - although at the top end this is not true.


However the time taken to perform a specific piece is still the same.  Speed has not changed - nor is its likely to.


Speed is not everything!


No comments: