Tuesday 16 June 2009

More to learn

Well, I'm back from the Caribbean. This was my first visit and - as ever - the place was both similar to, and dissimilar from, my expectations. Talking to people tells you more than simply looking ... so I talked to as many as I could and learnt quite a lot about ... well, about lots of things.

Climate, culture, history (and each of the islands is different) mean that Western or Eastern 'standard practices' do not necessarily transpose. Yet there were astonishing examples of good practice - the Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain, Trinidad is amongst the best hotel I've stayed in ... and I was very impressed with the work of the Productivity Council in Barbados.

This was a first visit - and a first lesson. I hope to go back and learn more ... then I might start to make informed judgements. In the meantime, I celebrate the friendliness of the people ... surely an important asset!

No comments: