Saturday 5 July 2014

The Mystery is not yet unravelled - but it doesn't matter

A number of you sent me comments to try and unpick the (UK) productivity mystery I referred to in last week's post.  Some of these were backed up by serious analysis.

Yet, after reading them all (which i did - gladly) I remain confused - and the mystery remains unresolved.

It just made me glad I can dip in and out of these sets of national statistics; I would hate to be responsible for creating them - or validating them.

My admiration is immense for the guys (and gals, I assume) who beaver away to give us these benchmarks.

And I am reminded why we benchmark performance anyway - it is to create dialogue and discussion which can lead to improvement.

So, last week's mystery is not a problem - as long as the great and the good don't spend too long attempting to unravel the mystery when they should be focused on creating a better, more productive future.

No comments: