Saturday 24 March 2012

Who does it?

I'm an old school productivity guy (though I hope I've kept up to date).

I grew up with techniques like Method Study and its critical examination where you ask a range questions such as "What is achieved?", "Why?" ... then go on to ask "When it is done?", "Where is to done?". "Who does it?" and "How is it done" so that you understand what is happening before you jump in and look for improvements.

I was reminded of this the other day when I read a report that the Phoenix (Arizona) fire service could save £1.4m annually by outsourcing a range of activities to civilian personnel.

This is what is meant by the Method Study  questions "Who does it?" "Why that person/group?"  "Who else could do it?" "Who should do it?"

These are always good questions to ask.

No comments: