Tuesday 15 July 2008

While the cat's away ....

I am in Indonesia on business.... but, of course, if you read this blog regularly, you will know this. Whilst away from home and from normal reference points, I find it a good time to think either innovatively or reflectively ... or occasionally both.

Because I have been dealing with many government officials, I have been reflecting on the nature of bureaucracy ... though I should - in their defence - stress that some of those I have met have been far from bureaucratic.

It seems that if you reward those who have big departments and run many projects, you will incentivise people to grow their department and grow the number of projects they run .... and unfortunately this seems often to be irrespective of the outputs of that department and the outcomes of those projects.

But then again, we know - don't we - that you get what you measure not what you want!

No comments: